Oliver Glasner to leave Crystal Palace: Austrian manager will not renew his contract when it expires at the end of the season | Football news

0
skysports-glasner-palace_7137163.jpg

Crystal Palace manager Oliver Glasner has revealed he will leave the club when his contract expires at the end of the season, citing his desire for a “new challenge” after almost two years at Selhurst Park.

The Austrian ended months of speculation over his future ahead of Saturday's game at Sunderland by explaining that he had told Palace owner Steve Parish as far back as October that he would not renew his existing contract.

Glasner has long been linked with a move away from Selhurst Park after a number of public frustrations over transfer business during last summer's window, and what he suggested was a failure to build on last season's historic FA Cup victory and only a second season in Europe.

The manager, who had already revealed the captain Guehi is about to be soldsaid he had kept the news under wraps due to the club's busy schedule in the final months of 2025, and only informed his players earlier on Friday, ahead of their trip to the Stade de la Lumière.

He said: “A decision has already been made months ago. I had a meeting with Steve [Parish] in October, the international break.

“We had a very long discussion and I told him that I will not sign a new contract.

“We agreed at the time that it was best to keep this between us. It's best that we can do this and keep this confidential for three months. I told the team today, because I think now it's important to have clarity.

“We had a very busy schedule, so we didn't want to talk about it. Steve and I want the best for Crystal Palace.”

Glasner did not want to know the exact reason for his departure, but said it was not influenced by their January affairs and that he had not spoken to any other clubs about his next position.

He said: “I told Steve I was just looking for a new challenge. I told him in October, it had nothing to do with the transfer window. I hate it if something is written or said that isn't true, and it was very difficult for me not to respond. We have a great relationship and we always talk about what's best for Crystal Palace.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

In addition to his own departure, Glasner revealed that captain Marc Guehi was set to leave the club in January.

“I haven't spoken to any other club, I told the players and I promised them today that I will do my best to deliver the best season in Crystal Palace's history. We are now four points better than at this stage of the season and we will do everything to bring another trophy back to Selhurst Park.

“We had the Conference League draw today, we will play against Zrinjski Mostar of Bosnia in the play-off draw and I had a look at the draw tree, it will be very interesting to see who we could play in our section.

“I will do anything to help bring a trophy back to Selhurst Park.”

Glasner: I wanted to announce my departure before the transfer window

Glasner said his personal preference had been to announce his departure before the start of the winter transfer window to avoid speculation that club business in January had influenced his decision – but he had been ruled out of that idea.

He suggested that clarity over his future could act as a catalyst for the club's failing system. They have not won any of their last nine matches in all competitions.

dispersion visualization

“I spoke with Steve, I wanted to maybe announce it before the transfer window because of these rumors that my decision was influenced, but we decided it wasn't the best time and the signing of Brennan Johnson was a great signing for the club at the start of the transfer window,” he said.

“Then with this tight schedule, I didn't want to do it after winning five games in a row because maybe you'll lose one and I know what's responsible for that!

“I felt it was the right time to maybe help turn things around and start winning. It's the best thing we can do for Crystal Palace.”

Have Palace fans' worst fears come true?

Analysis from Sky Sports' Nick Wright:

Crystal Palace fans are facing a nightmare scenario. Minutes after announcing the departure of Marc Guéhi during his press conference on Friday, Oliver Glasner confirmed his own departure at the end of his contract in June. Captain and manager, gone and gone.

The loss of Guehi is the immediate concern. Palace are on a nine-match winless run heading into their trip to Sunderland on Saturday. They now have to go to the Stade des Lumières, where Régis Le Bris' men are undefeated this season, without their leader and best player.

A difficult task has become considerably more difficult as Palace attempt to avoid the sense of crisis following Saturday's FA Cup defeat to non-league side Macclesfield. And that's before you even consider everything that awaits them this season.

Everything seems more difficult without Guehi and now Palace fans know for sure that they will soon also find themselves without the most successful manager in their history. Glasner's place in Palace history is assured after leading them to FA Cup and Community Shield glory. But can he get them back on track this season?

Only six weeks ago they moved into the Premier League's top four thanks to their late win over Fulham. Today, they are 13th, looking down rather than up, and contemplating a future without their captain and, soon, their manager too.

2026-01-16 13:54:00

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *