Max Verstappen: F1 chief Stefano Domenicali confident Red Bull driver won't abandon sport despite criticism of new cars | F1 News

0
skysports-f1-testing_7161797.jpg

Formula 1 president Stefano Domenicali says he is confident Max Verstappen will not leave the sport, even though the four-time world champion recently expressed concerns over new regulations for the 2026 season.

In media appearances at F1's pre-season events, Verstappen said the new cars, which the sport's leaders have tried to make more sustainable, were like “Formula E on steroids.”

Verstappen said last year that while he didn't find the sports car's new cars “fun” to drive, he couldn't really see himself “hanging out”.

However, after holding talks with Verstappen during the final Formula 1 pre-season test in Bahrain on Wednesday, Domenicali is confident the Red Bull driver will not be leaving the grid any time soon.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Verstappen was one of the first drivers on track during last week's opening test in Bahrain.

“I met Max,” Domenicali said. “We know that Max will be part of the future of Formula 1. It is very important that we listen to him, as we do with all the best drivers.

“He has a way of saying something that can be interpreted in a certain way. But I can guarantee you that Max wants and cares about Formula 1 more than anyone.

“I had a very constructive meeting with him, and we will have a very constructive meeting with the FIA ​​and with the teams to put forward his point of view on what he thinks needs to be done, which is to keep the driving style at the center without changing the approach.

“The evolution of automotive technology requires a different way of driving cars. This has happened in the past and it will happen in the future as well.”

“I'm pretty sure when we meet in the middle or end of the year you will see different comments. That's normal in Formula 1.”

After winning four successive drivers' titles from 2021 to 2024, Verstappen has established himself as the best driver on the current grid.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Verstappen looks back on how Red Bull worked during the first pre-season tests in Bahrain.

His future has been the subject of much speculation over the past two years, with Mercedes boss Toto Wolff attempting to poach the Dutchman from rival Red Bull.

Pressed on how he can be sure that Verstappen will not retire, Domenicali added: “Because I have a very good relationship with Max.

“I know him very, very well. I spend a lot of time with him. That's the reason, period. And he loves Formula 1, there's no doubt about it.”

The drastic nature of the regulation change for 2026, which sees the introduction of both new powertrains and new chassis, has led to questions about whether racing could suffer.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

McLaren's Oscar Piastri was left “stranded” on the track before Lewis Hamilton once again made a successful start in practice in his Ferrari.

With just a fortnight until the opening round at Melbourne's Albert Park, Domenicali said: “I don't understand the panic that's going on.

“There will be incredible races, lots of action and that is the most important thing. We have to stay calm because as always when there are new regulations – as was the case in 2014, 2017 and 2021 – there is a doubt that everything is wrong. I am not worried at all.”

Sky Sports F1 Bahrain testing schedule

Friday February 20

Watch every race of the 2026 F1 season live on Sky Sports, starting with the Australian Grand Prix from March 6-8. Stream Sky Sports with NOW – no contract, cancel anytime

  • 6:50 a.m.-11:05 a.m.: Live morning session
  • 11:55 a.m.-4:10 p.m.: Live afternoon session
  • 8 p.m.: Test wrap

2026-02-20 00:01:00

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *