F1 2026: Key meetings as final Bahrain tests begin, expected to impact powertrain and trigger procedural disputes | F1 News

0
skysports-f1-toto-wolff_7162183.jpg

The final tests of the 2026 Formula 1 pre-season begin on Wednesday, but the most crucial action of the day could well take place off the track at the Bahrain International Circuit.

Two crucial meetings are planned, with discussions that could have huge implications for the upcoming season, which begins in Australia in just over two weeks.

One of these will be organized by the Power Unit Advisory Committee (PUAC), made up of the sport's five engine manufacturers, the sport's governing body – the FIA ​​- and the sport's commercial rights holder – Formula One Management (FOM).

At the top of Wednesday's agenda will be the issue that has dominated the pre-season, a dispute over the application of rules regarding the compression ratio limit of new F1 engines.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Mercedes chief Toto Wolff said the team had obtained approval from the FIA ​​throughout the development of its engine.

The historic introduction of new chassis and powertrains for 2026 makes it one of the most anticipated seasons in the sport's history, but has also created uncertainty over how the races will look.

Fears over the race were heightened during last week's first official tests in Bahrain, particularly around the start procedure, and there were also strong calls for changes to be made to ensure things went smoothly in Melbourne on March 8.

The departure issue will be discussed at Wednesday's other key meeting, that of the F1 Commission, made up of senior representatives from the 11 teams, the FIA ​​and the FOM.

Powertrain dispute about to be resolved?

The year had barely started when rumors of an engine dispute emerged, with reports initially suggesting that Mercedes and Red Bull had found a loophole in the rules that the other three powertrain manufacturers – Ferrari, Honda and Audi – were unhappy with.

The dispute centers on compression ratio limits, with competitors suggesting that both manufacturers have found a way to offer a higher limit than was theoretically imposed by the all-new regulations for 2026.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Wolff has slammed rival F1 teams for criticizing the legality of Mercedes' new engine.

The compression ratio limit has been lowered from 18.0 under previous rules to 16.0, but measurements are only taken when the engine is not running at full temperature.

In January, Red Bull engine director Ben Hodgkinson described the saga as “much ado about nothing” and the Milton Keynes team appeared to be aligned with Mercedes in eliminating legality questions.

Mercedes chief Wolff was aggressive in his initial response, telling his rivals to “get their act together” and accusing them of making “excuses” before the season even started.

However, by the time the first official testing began in Bahrain on February 11, Wolff had adopted a much more conciliatory tone, as he seemed to accept that Mercedes being forced to modify its powertrain seemed a real possibility.

Wolff's stance may have been altered by an apparent shift in position from Red Bull, who now appear to be aligning with the other three manufacturers in putting pressure on the FIA ​​to ensure the compression ratio remains below the stated limit at all times, not just when the car is stopped for examination.

Mercedes' rivals believe the Silver Arrows were not operating at full capacity during the first test in Bahrain, in a bid to convince the FIA ​​that rule changes are not necessary.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Williams boss James Vowles said an engine rule change would “open a can of worms”.

But everything looks set to come to a head on Wednesday. If the FIA ​​and FOM agree with the other four engine manufacturers on the need for a change or clarification of the rules, that would create the “super majority” needed to impose it.

Mercedes also supplies powertrains to McLaren, Williams and Alpine, so such a move could potentially harm the competitiveness of all four teams heading into the new season.

Will the race start procedure be changed?

The second point of contention concerns the race starts, the moment on Sunday that most excites the majority of F1 fans.

There are some concerns about the challenges new power units create for drivers as they try to prepare to go off-grid.

Most teams believe that drivers need more time than they are currently allowed to prepare for the lights to go out, and that additional seconds should be added to the period between all cars lining up on the grid and the start of the starting procedure.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Watch highlights from day three of Bahrain's first pre-season test.

The problem in this case is that Ferrari is strongly opposed to any rule change, having taken into account the technical challenge of starting with its powertrain design.

Speaking in Bahrain on Friday, McLaren team principal Andrea Stella said the adjustment to the start procedure was a matter of “safety” and it was “imperative” that a change was made before the Australian Grand Prix.

Stella said: “We're not talking about your speed in qualifying, we're not talking about your race pace, we're talking about safety on the grid.

“There are certain issues that simply go beyond competitive interests. And for me, having security on the grid, which can be achieved with a simple adjustment, is simply a no-brainer. It's just a greater interest.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Fred Vasseur has played down the hype around Charles Leclerc's fast race simulation on day two in Bahrain as he believes the other teams are “not at their maximum”.

Judging by Stella's comments, there will likely be strong pressure from several teams on Wednesday for changes to be made, but there is no indication that Ferrari's stance will soften.

The one area where all team leaders seem united is that, particularly regarding the engine conflict, a resolution must be found now.

Vasseur said Sky Sports F1 Friday: “Now the most important [thing] it's making a decision because staying gray is not a solution, it has to be black or white.

“It's important for us, it's important for everyone. It's also important for you [the media] and the fans. We want to clarify this as soon as possible.”

Sky Sports F1 Bahrain testing schedule

Second test: Wednesday 18, Thursday 19 and Friday 20 February

  • 6:50 a.m.-11:05 a.m.: Live morning session
  • 11:55 a.m.-4:10 p.m.: Live afternoon session
  • 8 p.m.: Test wrap

Watch every race of the 2026 F1 season live on Sky Sports, starting with the Australian Grand Prix from March 6-8. Stream Sky Sports with NOW – no contract, cancel anytime

2026-02-17 17:30:00

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *